Monday 7 January 2013

Stop the baby crying

Stop the baby crying


When we hear a baby cry for an extended period,  at times  we may hear someone say just stop the baby crying. Babies cry for a reason, the difficult thing sometimes is to work out what the reason is.
Sometimes it is easy.  You may know that your little one hasn’t had a feed for a while and may be hungry. You may think” I haven’t checked his or her nappy for a little while- maybe that is uncomfortable”.  May be it has gotten more hot or cold and your little is uncomfortable with that.
These times it is easy to fix and when you do it will stop the baby crying.
However at other times it is not so easy.  These are the times when for most parents it becomes stressful , particularly when out in public and especially when you are on your own or in a new or unsupportive environment.
These are the times when you may think just help me stop the baby crying.  You may be feeling others eyes on you and wonder what they are thinking.  You may get the unwanted stares and frowns from unhelpful strangers.  It is easy to just want to stop the baby crying or alternatively wish you were swallowed up into a dark hole and disappear right in that moment.
Take heart.  Most people do not think  this at all.  Most people are empathising with you.  Most people have been in your shoes and know what you are feeling.  Most are not thinking just stop the  crying.
The fact is, most are thinking “ I feel for you.  I know exactly how you feel and I am glad it is not me.”
So the next time this happens to you, just go about your business knowing that you are doing your best and one day too soon you will also be thinking “ I feel for you, I am glad it is not me trying to stop the baby crying.”

No comments:

Post a Comment